Monday 7 July 2014

If the cloth fits...

So in an effort to save ourselves much needed cash at this stage, we have opted to use proper, old-fashioned cloth nappies!  Like the ones our parents may have used on us!  I know you can get the modern ones (and they are FAB!  Check out the link for more info and examples), but they were a bit more than we wanted to spend so we went for the old-fashioned ones!  

First day wearing cloth nappies - Emily was not happy for this particular photo shoot!
And can I say, they are awesome to use.  No more hassle than changing a disposable really, but of course you do need to soak and wash them but I honestly don't mind that part.  I am now happily in my 'nappy zone' where I have a bucket of nappy san ready to go each morning, to soak the day's nappies, and each morning I pop on a small washing load to wash the previous day's nappies.  It is working great actually and we put out SO much less rubbish each week, it's amazing.

We do use disposables if we are out for the day, and overnight (and often when my loving husband changes her as he feels he can't 'do' a cloth nappy as well as Mummy can!!) as that all could get a bit tricky, and the disposables keep Emily really dry overnight - I am not sure if the cloth nappies would do the same, although my Mom suggested using 2 cloth nappies at night as an option although we haven't tried that just yet.

We did use disposables when Emily was a little newborn.  We weren't in the 'nappy zone' back then, and we didn't even have the cloth nappies, and disposables are SO easy when you have to change 10 or so a day and often one right after the other!  It was amazing to see our household rubbish go from 1 bag to 3 bags a week though!  And so when we were less tired and discombobulated, we changed to cloth, around 10 weeks old or so.  We probably go through about 8 cloth nappies a day, plus 1 or 2 disposables overnight.

My Aunt in the UK managed to source all the goodies for us as we couldn't find the right thing in NZ.  We got everything from Mothercare UK which had just what we needed: waterproof pants in 4 different sizes, 10 of each size; terry cloth nappies, we got 35 nappies to keep us going, and initially I was using these nappy pins but I was terrified of stabbing Emily or myself accidentally and so I have bought 4 of these Snappi Nappy fasteners in NZ.  Fabulous little things and no worries about pricking or poking anyone!  We also use flushable nappy liners in the nappies and I feel using 2 per nappy works well and is more absorbent than just using 1.

We also haven't experienced much nappy rash, which is great!  I just change her nappy asap, and use zinc oxide nappy rash cream each night to avoid any rashes.  So far so good all round!  The only thing I find is that some of the little bodysuits Emily wears get a bit stretched where you fasten them, as they do need to stretch over the bulky cloth nappy.Oh well, more excuses to buy more clothing with the money we are saving on nappies!

Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment