Monday 8 February 2016

Always learning!


I'm used to getting my way... I am by no means pushy (or a push over), but I like to get my own way.  Every time.  And I. Am. Very. Determined.  And quite simply, hate to give in/up/out!  So when it came to starting potty training with Emily on the weekend, I thought 'ha, we have this in the bag' - the combination of my determination, Chris's support and Emily's inbuilt Epic Baby/Toddlerness that she has had since birth ..... we couldn't lose!


However, the plan I had in my head was vastly different to what transpired.... this is what we tried to do ... how hard could it be?? Potty Training in 3 days or less (emphasis on less, how epic would that be?!), accompanied by this video

We had our potty party in the kitchen: 


And set up in the bathroom:




But ... it turns out for someone teeny (and I was reminded just how tiny she still is on the weekend), wetting their pants for the first time is a strange and unwelcome feeling!  Freaky, scary even.  So although we got one little wee in the potty (gooooooo ... Emily!!), the rest sadly made her very, very upset.  One may say traumatised.  Chris and I got cross.  There were many tears and tantrums - Emily and Mummy.  And suddenly it wasn't much of a party any more.

Had we misread the signs?  Did we expect too much?  Was it too early?  We're not too sure.  What we do know is that we all need to be gentle and not place too much emphasis on it.  So we took stock and went back into nappies for the rest of the day.  Everyone was happier for it!!  And on Sunday and Monday, Emily happily 'went to say hi to the potty', regularly, and even practised sitting on it, with and without her nappy.  She also loves her cool new Toilet Time for Girls book we got her to help understand what this strange new phase is!

I definitely don't like to be proven wrong, or give up, but when it comes to your Baby, their happiness is paramount.  Not your own.  No matter who in your coffee group is 'ahead' of you in terms of milestones - potty training, big beds and 2nd time bumps, I'm surrounded by it!!  It's definitely hard not to feel behind sometimes.  But I am appalling at taking my own advice.  How often have I said to friends who have felt similar - 'don't worry about anyone else, it's your life, your decisions and your situation', 'be grateful for what you have', 'enjoy this moment.  This Moment'.  So time to sit down, shut up, and cuddle my Baby who is no longer a Baby, and cherish her for who she is, not what she does or can do.  Cos she can do so much and will always be our Epic Baby.     

2 comments: